Thursday, January 21, 2021

Precious few minutes

 

To know the value of one year                   : Ask a student who has failed a final exam. 

To know the value of nine months            : Ask a mother who gave birth to a still born.

To know the value of one month               : Ask a mother who has given birth to a premature baby.

To know the value of one week                 : Ask an editor of a weekly newspaper.

To know the value of one hour                  : Ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

To know the value of one minute              : Ask a person who has missed the train, bus or plane.

To know the value of one-second             : Ask a person who has survived an accident.

To know the value of one millisecond      : Ask the person who has won a silver medal in the Olympics

(A quote a received through E-mail, long time ago)



This is my story. Every time I think of it, I get more and more convinced that nothing happens accidentally. Everything happens for a reason. They occur as if planned by someone in minute details. My life, where I am today, the comforts I enjoy today, the social status I have earned today, everything could have been totally different, had I lost few minutes on a very important day two decades back. This is that story...of the precious minutes that secured my life.


It was the year 1996. After completing graduation, I was preparing for post-graduation entrance examinations. I wanted to pursue Master of Computer Applications (MCA) or M.Sc. in Geology, which was my major during graduation. As my role model teacher from the graduation encouraged me to aspire for post-graduation from prestigious institutions in India, I applied to many of them, including Pondicherry University, Anna University, Cochin University, IIT Kharagpur, and IIT Roorkee. Till graduation, I studied in Kerala only. I had never ventured to go out of my hometown for studies. So, I was bit hesitant to go out to far off places for post-graduation. But the constant encouragement from my teacher and the dreams of standing on my own feet were acting as catalysts for my ambition of doing post-graduation from a prestigious institution outside Kerala.


Most of the institutes I aimed were near to Kerala. But IIT Kharagpur and IIT Roorkee were at the Northern part of India. The physical distance as wells as the psychological distance to these universities were huge for me. I could not apply to IIT Kharagpur due to some reason. But I applied to IIT Roorkee, which was then known as University of Roorkee. At that time, the examination centre was only at Roorkee. Therefore, all the candidates had to travel to Roorkee (which was in Uttar Pradesh then, now in Uttaranchal). Due to this inconvenience there were only few candidates from South India for the entrance examination. Mostly it was dominated by candidates from Bengal, Odisha, Bihar and Delhi. In spite of all these odds, I decided to travel to Roorkee and write the examination. In the university’s prospectus, it was mentioned that the candidates must come prepared for starting the academic life, if they are selected. Therefore, I had to go with all necessary preparations for staying in the hostel, if I am selected.

The only time I had travelled to a long distance from home was to attend a navel engineering entrance examination in Bhopal. That time, I was accompanied by my elder brother who had worked in New Delhi for many years. During that journey I was under his constant care. But this time, I was alone; rather I chose to be alone. I was nervous as well as excited to make a lonely trip to one end of the country from the opposite end. Though my brother said he can come with me, I was adamant that I will go alone. After lot of discussions, my mother also agreed to it.

I had to go to Cochin first to write Cochin University’s entrance examination and then from there, I was supposed to travel to Chennai. Almost two days of train journey from there would take me to New Delhi from where another five hours of bus journey would take me to my destination, University Roorkee in Uttar Pradesh. As per the plan, I would reach Roorkee just on time; one day before the entrance examination.

I planned everything in detail. Tickets were booked. My bag packs were kept ready for the hostel life in case of selection. First, I appeared for the Cochin University examination. In Cochin I stayed in Simi’s house who was my distant relative. She is the lovely lady who is sharing the good and bad times in my life with me, my wife. As I said earlier, nothing is a coincidence. Everything is scripted by someone superior. I never thought at that time, Simi would one day be my wife.

I didn’t know anyone in Chennai. So, my brother requested one of his friends to fetch me from the railway station and help me in the travel to New Delhi. The day I finished the entrance examination for Cochin University, I started my journey to Chennai. Simi’s father accompanied me to the railway station. I bordered the train which was supposed to reach Chennai early in the morning. My connecting train to New Delhi was the Tamil Nadu Express (TN Express). I remembered it’s departure time as 9.30 in the morning. After a good sleep in the night, I reached Chennai early in the morning. As planned, my brother’s friend was there to receive me.  His house was bit far away from the station. I do not remember the name of the place now. When he asked about my travel plan and the departure time, I mentioned that the train I need to board is TN express is departing at 9.30 AM. The he took me in his motorcycle to his home.

When we reached his home, he said that we don’t have much time if the 9.30 AM train must be bordered. So, I quickly ate the breakfast and again rushed back to the railway station in his motorcycle. In between he asked me couple of times about the departure time. I kept on saying that it is at 9.30 AM. I was confident of the timings as I only booked the ticket.

I had one big bag pack and one small pack with all eatables from home. When we reached the Chennai central station, I asked one gentleman standing outside the parking area about the platform number to board the TN express. In my watch it was almost 8.50 AM then. The moment I mentioned about TN Express, that gentleman had a strange look in his face. Then immediately he said,

“It is Platform 10. It will depart sharp at 9.00 AM. Go …go…run”


I felt like being blind for a minute. Frantically I looked at my railway ticket. The time of departure was mentioned as 9.00 AM. Even today I do not know why I had the idea that the departure time is 9.30 AM. I also do not know why I didn’t even bother to check the time much before the departure.  Maybe I was overconfident on seeing the departure time as 9.30 AM. May be I was lost in thoughts.

I could not even thank my brother’s friend. He also asked me to run to the platform. I was already in a frantic mode. I took my bags and ran towards the platform. To make things worse, I was running from the 1st platform and the train I had to catch was in the 10th platform. I had less than ten minutes. I thought I won’t make it, if I have to climb the stairs and run all the way to the 10th platform within that time. There were many things at stake; my dreams, my career and hopes of my family. With all my force I ran like a sprinter. Fortunately, in Chennai central station, there are no stairs between the platforms. I could reach the platforms from the ground level itself.

I ran towards the platform 10.  The last compartment was near me when I reached the train. I asked the guy who stood at the door whether it is TN express or not. He said yes and asked me to get in. By then the train had started moving. I had reservation to travel to New Delhi. But there was no time to look for my reservation compartment. I just threw my bags in to the compartment and jumped in. Soon I found that it was the general compartment and it was already full. Some kind fellows gave me a little space to sit. I thought I will get out of the general compartment and find my seat in the reservation compartment at the next stop. Then I found that TN Express had very limited stops in between. After Chennai the next stop was in Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh.

I sat in the general compartment. After long time, when the train reached Vijayawada, I approached the Ticket Examiner. He said that since I didn’t show up, my reservation was no more valid. But he said, I can go to any sleeper class and stay there. At that time, I was not wise enough to argue about my rights or to buy another seat by paying him. I just believed what he said and went to one of the sleeper compartments. During the night, I put a newspaper on the floor and slept near the toilet.

I felt sad as well as excited. I felt sad on missing the comfortable travel in spite of having reservation. But felt excited on being the brave lone traveller, facing the troubles, solving everything myself and marching towards the foothills of the mighty Himalayas from God’s own country, all the way from south India.

I reached Delhi safely. My friend’s sister was there to receive me and take me to the Inter State Bus Terminus (ISBT). From there, I took a bus to Dehradun which was going through Roorkee. After five hours of journey, I was in Roorkee. Rest everything happened as per the script written by the best writer. I reached there on time, wrote the examination next day, cleared the entrance examination with second rank, studied there for three years, got the degree of M.Tech in Applied Geology, and finally became the only guy from Geology Department to be selected by Schlumberger that year. A career with Schlumberger was something like a dream come true for a person like me at that time.

As I went through all these phases in life, perhaps I didn’t realize that everything happens for a reason. I just went through those phases without trying to connect the dots. Now when I look back, I feel that everything appears planned by someone. Also, I realize the importance of those precious few minutes before I got into the train. If I was late by few more minutes, perhaps I would have missed the train. Then I would not have reached Roorkee on time before the examination. I would have missed the exposure I got in Roorkee. I wouldn’t kick start my career with Schlumberger. Then, my fate and career would have been something totally different.

I had very small dreams while I was a student doing graduation. I didn’t even dare to dream big. Taking care of my family, giving them some comfort and having a good house in place of the old house with thatched roof where we lived were my small dreams. But the chain of connected incidents, which I believe are not accidental coincidences, took me through a journey, which allowed me to dream more, attain the stability I dreamt of and fulfil the commitments I had. All those events have an origin to the precious few minutes I had in front of the Chennai Central station. I thank the almighty for everything, the good and bad. In bad times, he showed me the way to sail through it and gave the courage to face it. In good times, he let me enjoy the comforts and happiness I deserved. I thank him for every minute in my life, especially for those precious minutes, without which I would have been sitting somewhere else right now, doing something else, instead of telling you my story.

Jose

Bangalore

22 Jan 2021




No comments:

Post a Comment